Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Lace Skirt



Lace skirt complete! I'm so so happy with how it turned out. The preparation seemed to take forever but once all the pattern alteration and basting was out of the way, it sewed up like a dream!

I used Butterick 5466 version E. I'd used this pattern a couple of times before but always had to do so much tweaking to get the fit right and I knew I couldn't do that with the lace. I sewed up another muslin and ended up with a pattern that fits like a glove, pegged it slightly and used these amazing tutorials to add a back vent and draft a lining. I probably should have started with a different pattern entirely but there you have it.

The only regret is that the side seams are not entirely straight.


I spent a lot of time plotting how to give this skirt a polished look. I used a lovely grey wool and cashmere suiting as an underlining. Originally I was going to use french seams, since the lace hangs past the underlining, but it would have gotten too thick so I ended up doing a Hong-Kong finish.

I wouldn't have even known where to start without thoroughly reading Gertie's blogs about her red lace dress.

Here is the hem, flipped open at the vent.

It's purely coincidence that the scallop length pretty much lined up at all the seams. A happy accident. If I were to do this again, I think I would choose a lace with a smaller motif so as not to cut off the pattern with the edges of the panels.

This skirt feels divine! It has a weight to it that feels luxurious and I feel good wearing it.

Yep, definitely a pear!

Mostly, I've tried styling it with a few white blouses that I own and it looks great, but I'd like some variety. How else should I style it?

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, really classy. I love it, such beautiful lace.
    I've got a yellow lace skirt (sounds horrible when you say it out loud!) which I like to wear with casual t-shirts. I'd go for something simple (maybe solid coloured tops?) with it to let the skirt stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm kind of obsessed with yellow right now but I haven't managed to get any into my wardrobe except for one golden silk scarf.

      I'm definitely going to try with a t-shirt.

      I was also thinking maybe a cropped sweater that's short but with a lot of volume.

      Gah, how do you publish pics in the comments?

      http://youlookfab.com/2012/10/23/how-to-wear-cropped-sweaters-with-skirts/

      Delete
  2. The skirt looks fantastic! Perfect for the office. The white blouse looks great but I think any light coloured blouses would look nice. I'm a big fan of pink and black myself. Actually pink heels would look great with that skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cor! Yeah, a nice blush pink would balance out the slightly goth undertones. Pretty!

      Delete