Thursday, 29 November 2012

Lovely Reta Dress


I named this dress after a friend of mine who has great style and bows are kind of a signature for her. The bow and bias tape ribbon detail was inspired by this guest post by Cation for 3 Hours Past the Edge of the World. I love clean little details, like piping!



I knew I wanted a fitted dress with a classic silhouette for work so I combined the bodice from the Colette Peony with Butterick 5466 skirt pattern, the same one that I used to make my lace skirt.

There were definitely some frustrating moments making this dress! I used a delicious yarn-dyed wool twill and it ended up having way more mechanical stretch than I had realized. I had to take in some ease through the side seams to make the bodice look right and because of that, I couldn't line it as I had planned. I had to take enough ease out of the bodice that I was worried that the non-stretch lining would have been way too tight or weirdly baggy inside the snug bodice. I also had to play around with the darts and raise where the skirt attached to the bodice and take in a lot at the zipper. I feel like I had to re-stitch every seam at least twice!

Thank God I bought such lovely fabric. It ended up being super comfortable even without the lining. Unfortunately, because I had planned to line it, the seam finishing is a little inconsistent  At least my facings and hems turned out looking good.



Pretty slick, right? This is my first time using lace trim for the hem finishing and I'm really happy how it turned out! I added a tutorial here on how to do an interfaced hem.


I'm really happy with how this dress turned out! This is the kind of dress that I always wanted but couldn't find an RTW one that fit. I really loved wearing this dress today!


Thanks to Kiren, Kyla and Reta for the photos. I had to take them at work to get daylight. Ugh, winter!


Here I am in front of the Kajama, a tall ship moored at Harbourfront Centre. Tomorrow is my second-last day at work! I think I'm going to wear this dress for my first day at my new job.


What's your advice for a first day of work outfit?

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress and fits you perfectly! I especially love the bow detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I love your dress. It should be the perfect first day of work dress, cute, flattering, but not over-the-top notice-me-I'm-new-here looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I really don't want to look like I'm wearing homemade clothes but I think this dress can pass.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS. In the first photo, especially, I can see some very very nice stitching and design sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a little hard to photograph since I had been wearing at my desk all day so it got a little wrinkly, plus it was cold out!

      Delete
  4. This is an amazing dress!!! I love the color, the fit, the details. Everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've happy with it too, especially because it's comfortable, too!

      Delete
  5. You look beautiful and proffessional. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fit is great, and it's a beautiful dress! The details are lovely. I like how you made the pictures in the harbour. And a tip for first day at work outfit? This dress of course. Congrats on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I'd been wanting to take photos there for a while so I figured that would be my last chance.

      Delete
  7. Oh my God Dana, that dress is fantastic!!! And you look fantastic in it!

    Congrats again on the new job- I hope it went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My first week went even better than I could have expected. Yay!

      Delete